Dr Josef Ferguson
Specialist Anaesthetist – Member Of The Southern Anaesthetics Group, Perth, Western Australia
Dr Josef Ferguson is a medical graduate of the University of Western Australia completing his degree in 2006. Following internship at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital Dr Ferguson followed his passion for critical care, working in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine for a number of years. He trained in anaesthesia in Perth’s major teaching hospitals.
He completed clinical fellowships in General Adult Anaesthesia at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and Obstetric and major Gynaecological Anaesthesia at King Edward Memorial Hospital. He obtained fellowship with the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists in 2016.
He then completed a further clinical fellowship in Adult Cardiothoracic Anaesthesia and Critical Care at the Oxford Heart Centre in the UK. Dr Ferguson has spent a significant amount of time anaesthetising critically unwell patients.
Dr Ferguson also holds postgraduate certification in clinical teaching and clinical ultrasound with an interest in both transthoracic and transoesophageal echocardiography.
Dr Ferguson works as a specialist anaesthetist in Perth’s private hospitals and holds visiting medical practitioner rights in Western Australia’s Southwest.
Dr Ferguson has clinical interest in all aspects of adult general anaesthesia including anaesthesia for cardiac and thoracic surgery, obstetric and major gynaecological surgery and anaesthesia for orthopaedic, plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Professional Training And Experience
- Internship – Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital
- Resident medical officer – Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and Joondalup Health Campus
- Emergency/ICU training – Kalgoorlie and Bunbury Regional Hospitals, Fremantle Hospital
- Anaesthesia training program – Perth’s major teaching hospitals
- Clinical Fellowship – Adult general anaesthesia (Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital)
- Clinical Fellowship – Obstetric and Gynaecological anaesthesia (King Edward Memorial Hospital)
- Clinical Fellowship – Cardiothoracic anaesthesia and critical care (Oxford Heart Centre, UK)
- Consultant Anaesthetist – Bunbury Regional Hospital
- Dr Ferguson is accredited at the majority of Perth’s private hospitals.
- Fellow of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists
- Australian Medical Association
- MDA National